[squid-users] How to definitively disable IPv6

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 26 07:21:44 UTC 2019

On 26/01/19 5:00 am, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 25/01/19 11:29 pm, Troiano Alessio wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to definitively solve the ipv6 (un)reachbility issue.
>>
>> I state I read this topic:
>> http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/dns-v4-first-on-ignored-td4658427.html
>> but not found a solution. Amos wrote “Squid tests for IPv6 ability
>> automatically by opening a socket on a private IP address, if that works
>> the socket options are noted and used.”
>>
>> Anyway I disable IPv6 on my Red Hat 7.4 with the following:
>>
>> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
>>
>> net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
>>
>> net.ipv6.conf.bond0.disable_ipv6 = 1
>>
>> net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
>>

> IIRC there are boot options necessary so the machine kernel starts with
> its IPv6 TCP stack disabled.

FWIW; the patch I made to detect and disable IPv6 inside Squid when the
::1 cannot be bound has now been merged and should be in the upcoming
v4.6 release.

If you wish to try it out before then it can be found at
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v5/changesets/squid-5-4685e7ba556dd81facf98e6a8e5503211cff3f1a.patch>