[squid-users] YouTube cache

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 26 03:30:35 UTC 2019

On 26/01/19 6:30 am, Մուշեղ Դավթյան wrote:
> Hi dear squid users. Somebody can help me to make youtube online videos
> cache? Anybody have experience in 2019? Thanks a lot

The situation with YouTube cacheability has not changed in several
years. The many discussions and tools mentioned on this mailing list and
others about it since ~2014 still apply.

* The videos themselves are fully cacheable already. The issue is just
that there are a very large number of encoding variants for each video.

So...

* The tangled sequence of web requests leading to a particular video has
as many or more variations of HTTP transactions. Improving HIT ratios
needs to account for all this stateful complication.

Eliezer and some others have made tools to untangle that maze and
identify which video URIs are equivalent and can be de-duplicated in the
cache. I will leave it to one of them to post the current details of
their products.