[squid-users] Backing up squid cache and restoring it

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jan 25 02:56:59 UTC 2019

On 24/01/19 10:50 pm, Arne-Tobias Rak wrote:
> Thank you for your help. I eventually managed to get it working. The
> problem was related to stopping the squid service using the -k argument.
>
> Closing squid using
>
> sudo service squid stop
>
> allows me to restore previous cache contents without any issues.

Hmm, that does not make sense to me.

Squid-3.x are not compatible with systemd. They only way to use Squid-3
with a .service setup is for that to be linked up to use the "-k
shutdown" commands internally. Even then systemd's default SIGKILL
behaviour and confusion over what PID it is supposed to be monitoring
can result in problems anyway.

Please switch to Squid-4 if you want to use systemd controls.