[squid-users] Squid 4.5 Transparent Proxy, StrongSwan VPN - Working in Browser but not in any android apps

XploD xplod at xplod.de
Tue Jan 22 08:19:19 UTC 2019

Hi.

I've got a strange problem, and I don't know if you can help me:

To secure my mobile phone, I have set up a VPN using Strongswan which is used anytime I use an open WiFi hotspot. This works fine.

But to get rid of all the trackers applied to websites and android apps, I want to use a proxy to filter any unwanted communication:

So I have set up squid to intercept both port 80 and 443, with SSL_BUMP, Self-Signed Certificates, ...

In firefox mobile, I had to download the CA-certificate in PEM format, so that firefox asked if I wanted to install the certificate. After doing so, the proxy works just fine, and any website shows the Squid Authority as CA.

For Chrome, I had to download the CA-Certificate as .crt file. I installed that in Android, so that it is displayed in the user section of the Trusted-CA page. Afte that, Chrome accessed any website without complains, stating that every site was signed by the Squid Authority.

But now my problem:

Any android app I try wants to open an SSL connection to some servers, but none of them does work. Every app either says it has no connection, or shows a certifate mismatch...

Can anybody tell me what I have to do so that every android app accepts the intercepted connection?

Best regards,

Dirk

BTW: If any squid developer is reading this: Squid is awesome work! Thank you very much for such beauty!