[squid-users] Netdb. state too big

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jan 9 13:16:36 UTC 2019

On 9/01/19 10:34 pm, Antonino Sanacori wrote:
>  Hello.
>
> My log/squid/netdb.state is 534MB, how can i reduce his size?

* You can safely delete Squid netdb.state journals at any time.

* You can disable NetDB by configuring "netdb_filename none" in squid.conf

However, that said ...

> On my Debian 9 can I use logrotate to rotate the file?

... the Debian squid packages NetDB journal file is located at
/var/spool/squid/netdb.state unless you have configured netdb_filename
to place it elsewhere.

You should *not* treat netdb.state as a log. Performing log rotation,
backups, or even using its contents for analysis is pointless. Squid
will delete and rebuild it as an hourly snapshot during regular operation.