[squid-users] [ext] Netdb. state too big

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jan 9 12:45:12 UTC 2019

On 9/01/19 11:38 pm, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Antonino Sanacori:
>> Hello Ralf.
>>
>> I have not the typical record format visible in link
>> http://etutorials.org... but many record as this:
>>
>> x.y.z.a 8.0000 23.0000 1523875740 1523876930 ip server address
>>
>> no subnet.
>
> Yes, but do you need that at all?
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200007/0384.html
> seems to imply that it's only useful in a parent-child setup (or cache
> hierarchy).

It is most useful for peer connections where the peer selection
algorithm directly depends on the RTT times.

It is also used with persistent connection selection as a small
optimization to prioritize faster connections to be selected for re-use
rather than slower connections. This makes a big difference for servers
operating behind an IP load balancer.

This feature is always an optional one. In absence of NetDB RTT data
algorithms using it assume that all TCP connections are equally fast.