[squid-users] Web Socket Support For Reverse Proxy

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jan 4 07:39:13 UTC 2019

On 4/01/19 5:48 am, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
> I am running Squid as a reverse proxy for several internally hosted
> websites, some HTTP and some HTTPS with wild card cerrtificate. We have
> recently setup a Atlassian Confluence Server, and are unable to edit any
> documents through the reverse proxy. On inspection of client web console
> logs we are receiving the following error.
>
> failed: Error during WebSocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 200

The client software does not support the WebSockets fallback
mechanism(s) properly.

> I have been searching the Squid documentation and can't find anything on
> web sockets. Is it not supported in reverse proxy mode?

Indeed. 200 status is a "success" response from the origin. The data
requested is still being delivered, just with HTTP instead of WebSockets.

> Currently running Squid 4.3, the cache peer for the specific server is.
>
> cache_peer 10.20.10.25 parent 8490 0 ssl no-query no-digest originserver
> name=confluence_parent sslcapath=/usr/local/share/certs
> sslflags=DONT_VERIFY_PEER login=PASSTHRU front-end-https=on proxy-only
> cache_peer_access confluence_parent allow CONFLUENCE SSL
> cache_peer_access confluence_parent deny all
>
> The confluence server is configured to use a proxy, and is aware that it
> is there.

That could be the problem then. Why does the *server* need configuring
to *use* a proxy?

Clients use a proxy to fetch requests. Servers *receive* requests from a
proxy.