[squid-users] HTTP2

Andrej van der Zee andrejvanderzee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:35:44 UTC 2019

Hi Alex / Amos,

It sounds like its still a long way to get HTTP/2 support released and
contributing therefore is not an option in company time.

Maybe a bit blunt, in our case it means looking for either
Squid-workarounds for HTTP/2 servers we have to address (Apple APNS
notification server for example), or change to another proxy with HTTP/2
support.

Best regards,
Andrej

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:28 PM Alex Rousskov <
rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:

> On 2/27/19 10:30 AM, Andrej van der Zee wrote:
>
> > I understood that http2 is work in progress.
> > Is there anything to say about when this might be released?
>
> IMO, given the way the Squid Project operates right now, the correct
> answer to that question is close to "hopefully not in the foreseeable
> future": We cannot add quality HTTP/2 support right now, and adding some
> hacky version of it would be disastrous for Squid stability, support,
> and development. Combined with where the popular clients and origin
> servers are going, it may be better to fantasize about HTTP/3 support
> instead.
>
> Based on Factory experience with adding HTTP/2 support to Web Polygraph,
> I consider the following (partially overlapping) preconditions as
> necessary for serious HTTP/2 (or HTTP/3) work in Squid:
>
>   1. Proper QA infrastructure.
>
>   2. Elimination of technical debt that prevents proper restructuring
>      of HTTP/2-sensitive code.
>
>   3. An agreement regarding overall HTTP/2 code architecture.
>
>   4. An efficient way to accept huge code changes.
>
>   5. A project lead capable, willing, trusted, and funded
>      to orchestrate such a big change from beginning to end.
>
> Right now, *none* of the above preconditions are satisfied.
>
> There is slow but steady progress with #1 and areas of #2.
>
> The situation with #3 and #4 is worse than it was a few years ago -- we
> are wasting insane amounts of time on getting much simpler code changes
> reviewed and accepted. Many changes require a rewrite before they should
> be accepted (and some are indeed rewritten). Nobody can afford to
> rewrite a pull request with initial HTTP/2 support!
>
> We have nobody who can satisfy #5 criteria right now.
>

> On 2/27/19 7:27 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
> > If anyone wants to jump in and lend a hand my HTTP/2 work is up on
> > github. IMO the best tasks to collaborate on would be designing
> > cppunit tests
> Creating more unofficial code is a bad idea at this time IMO.
>
> Alex.

Andrej van der Zee
Oranje-Vrijstaatkade 49
1093KS Amsterdam