[squid-users] Squid proxies won't pop up authentication or even attempt

amlgp amlgp at mftsl.xyz
Fri Feb 22 06:25:55 UTC 2019

Hi all, I've been trying to troubleshoot this for the last 2 days and it's
starting to drive me nuts.

I am running on a Centos 6 server trying to start up some proxies with
Squid.

When I manually try to enter my proxy using Firefox, no window pops up for
authentication and I just time out. I have read that this might be due to a
http access or acl error but I can't see anything wrong.

Steps I have taken so far:

-Set up network interfaces with Centos(all my IP's ping correctly from
inside the server and outside the server)
-Set up squid.conf with acl and userpass authentication

Squid version: squid-3.1.23-24.el6.x86_64

Access logs are empty, error logs are currently empty in
/var/log/squid/squid.out after I fixed the visible_hostname error. Squid
starts/restarts/stops without errors.

I have tried using the actual hostname that shows up when using the
"hostname" command and there are no changes, so I just replaced it with
localhost instead.

Also, abc 123 x are real numbers, and the IP pings but the exact numbers
have been replaced for this post.

Does anyone see what the problem might be? Thank you in advance!