[squid-users] Squid for Windows Repeatedly Crashing

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Feb 22 05:31:16 UTC 2019

On 22/02/19 4:21 am, Van Order, Drew (US - Hermitage) wrote:
> Thank you for replying, and that's an excellent point.
>
> Short answer--definitely not in a container, these are garden variety VMWare instances. I've already flagged the OS power settings to maximum performance, so nothing should be going to sleep. I'll doublecheck, though.
>
> So, if I understand correctly, this error could also be indicative of an issue in between the agent and Squid. Agents first go through a firewall, then the F5 before reaching Squid.

No that is not what I meant.

The port Squid has already opened and used syscall listen(2) on is what
is being closed (or its address corrupted) outside of Squid. That should
only ever be closed by Squid itself. Thus the error.

It is being closed repeatedly. Thus the abort/shutdown. This is not a
crash, it is intentional shutdown by Squid due to these fatal
(non-recoverable) errors.

> [Stopped, reason:Listener socket closed job1]: (14) Bad address
>
> Any thoughts on this error, which tends to be more common than the other?
>
> 2019/02/20 09:42:33 kid1| comm_poll: poll failure: (14) Bad address
> 2019/02/20 09:42:33 kid1| Select loop Error. Retry 2

Notice how the error from the OS "(14) Bad Address" is the same. This is
just another display of the same problem. Maybe the poll() layer
reporting the exact same error as Squid tries to recover. Maybe for
other non-listener ports also being corrupted somehow.

If non-listener ports are having that same error it would be a sign the
machine memory is being corrupted rather than other software touching
the listener ports specifically.

( The details you have provided so far have no hints about where the
problem may be coming from, and I am not having any ideas about
possibilities either. I just hope the above explanation of meaning can
help you think of things to look at for more hints on this very weird
issue. )