[squid-users] Squid doesn't execute url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Feb 11 17:11:20 UTC 2019

On 2/2/19 12:37 PM, eliezer at ngtech.co.il wrote:
> Can we change the default from "startup=0" to "startup=1" ?

We obviously can. The real question is whether we should. AFAICT, the
default changed to zero in commit 48d54e4. In that commit message, I did
not find an explanation of _why_ the default was changed, but I could
have missed it. I only saw references to why the new default may cause
problems.

Before we restart changing defaults, we should agree on some principles
that should guide us in selecting the right default. Please feel free to
propose/defend them if you want to work on this change. Here is an
example of a possible principle we could use for situations where the
default option value is not clear/obvious:

* The default should maximize the chance that a misconfiguration is
discovered at startup time (rather than at runtime).

Alex.