[squid-users] Building Squid 3.5 for Win2k with SSL

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Feb 10 14:13:13 UTC 2019

On 11/02/19 1:02 am, Reinhard Zumpf Dipl.-Ing. wrote:
> Dear Gentlemen,
>
> was anyone successful in building Squid 3.5 for Win2k with SSL (>
> OpenSSL 1.0.1 / TLS 1.2) so far?

The oldest Windows I have had Squid-3.x building was Win7. But my work
was on the native builds with MinGW-w64. The Cygwin environment is a
different beast entirely - much more POSIX and Linux.

> If not, I will not be able to do it without an tremendous amount of
> support, which is a great pity, if Squid can only be used on x64 while
> the field of application spans over mitigating TLS compatibility
> problems for older x86 servers (eg. php4 with cURL w/o TLS1.2, which
> is needed for several APIs), too.

Squid can be run on any machine and still do that job. You do not have
to limit yourself to old hardware or Win2k OS to achieve.

Just have routing and NAT systems enforcing clients traffic goes through
the proxy if you are the ISP for them. Or advertise the proxy IP address
instead of the old server address if you are running the service. Or
both if you have a mixed environment.