[squid-users] redirecting one url to another

Walid A. Shaari walid.shaari at linux.com
Thu Feb 7 15:55:58 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 15:24, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> On 8/02/19 12:28 am, Walid A. Shaari wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > due to architectural or workflow issue, I would like to utilize squid to
> > redirect one url to another.
> >
> > e.g.  bing.com to google.com
> > however, keep the parameters, is that doable?
> >

> There are two problems;
>
> First is that those services no longer use HTTP. So you will need to
> decrypt the HTTPS to get any access to the URLs.

thats doable correct via bump and splice?

 Second is that they are different services by different organizations.

> So the parameters have different meanings. Retaining them can cause more
> problems than it solves.

in my case actually it is the same, it is an issue DNS whitlisting at work.
as when a cname resolution happens it happens at the proxy end not the host
end, does that make any sense?
so for example

dc.services.visualstudio.com requsted is actually a CNAME for
dc.applicationinsights.microsoft.com

I always thought DNS resolution happens first, then that is passed to the
proxy server, in my case from tcpdump, I belive the http payload host is
the one that gets resolved by the proxy, and if the proxy has a web gateway
in front of it, this is where the whitelisting/black listing happens before
any name resoultion/alias are resolved. am I right? I apperciate any good
resources on how and where name resolution happens when proxises, load
balancers and web gateways  are involved

Best regards,

Walid