[squid-users] Bad HTTP header error on non-standard HTTP response code

Ivan Larionov xeron.oskom at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:39:48 UTC 2019

Hello.

We've recently noticed a difference in behavior between squid v3 and v4.

On HTTP response with non-standard 4-digits HTTP code, for example
something like this:

HTTP/1.1 5009 Update Error
Connection: Closed

{"code":500911,"message":"update record error"}

squid 3 just passes this response to the client, but squid 4 returns 502
with ERR_INVALID_RESP template and writes into cache.log:

WARNING: HTTP: Invalid Response: Bad header encountered from … AKA …

While I understand that 4-digits response code is not standard I'd like to
know:

Is it expected behavior and is there an option to change squid 4 behavior
to match squid 3?

Thanks!

--
With best regards, Ivan Larionov.