[squid-users] unable to open http socket

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Dec 5 08:05:15 UTC 2019

On 5/12/19 1:17 am, yannick.rousseau wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm using debianedu (stretch) with squid 3.5.
> I would like to configure my squid through a parent proxy
> (172.16.103.254:3128).
> I give you my issues at the beginning of this post, and my squid config
> at the end.
>
> -> When I start squid on my debian stretch, and check if everything is
> ok, I've got the message "Unable to open HTTP Socket":
>
> # service squid status

There is your problem.

Nesting daemon managers leads to major problems tracking what PID is
responsible for what. The 'squid' process is a daemon manager, so is
systemd.

With Squid-3 the closest to a solution you will be able to get is to add
the -N command line option to disable the Squid daemon manager (and SMP
features).

Please upgrade to Squid-4 though, it has support for integrating with
systemd which does not require useful SMP features to be disabled.