[squid-users] Why Squid on CentOS is faster than Debian ?

David Touzeau david at articatech.com
Mon Apr 1 09:17:18 UTC 2019

Le 01/04/2019 à 00:23, David Touzeau a écrit :

> Le 31/03/2019 à 05:50, Amos Jeffries a écrit :

>> If you still have the config.log files from the build you may be able to
>> track down something being detected (or not) in one of the builds.
>>
>> The -march=native or -O level options for compile would be the first
>> place I look for a major difference like that. Either on Squid or on one
>> of the system libraries it uses. The *FLAGS summary at the end of the
>> build can be a good starting point for comparison.
>>
>> Compiler version can also have an effect as newer compilers use more
>> performance related tricks than older ones (YMMV on which tricks are
>> actually better).
>>

>>> Faster in what? Response time?
>>>
>>> 1. response time, MISS and HIT are faster
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> on Centos MEM_HIT are about  0-1 msec against Debian about 3-4 msec
>>>
>> On the same test traffic?
>>

>> Amos
>
> Thanks Amos, we will take care during the compilation.
>
> But to be sure of tests:
>
> Using same settings, same cache, same hardware and same destination
> websites.

Hi Amos and Community...

We have recompiled same squid version on 2 systems

No march= using --disable-arch-native on both systems

Debian config.log

https://github.com/dtouzeau/1.6.x/blob/Tempfiles/debian9-config.log?raw=true

Centos config.log

https://github.com/dtouzeau/1.6.x/blob/Tempfiles/centos7-config.log?raw=true