[squid-users] Help: squid restarts and squidGuard die

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Wed Sep 19 11:49:37 UTC 2018

On 18/09/18 23:03, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 19/09/18 1:54 AM, neok wrote:
>> Thank you very much Amos for putting me in the right direction.
>> I successfully carried out the modifications you indicated to me.
>> Regarding ufdbGuard, if I understood correctly, what you recommend is to use
>> the ufdbConvertDB tool to convert my blacklists in plain text to the
>> ufdbGuard database format? And then use that/those databases in normal squid
>> ACL's?
>
> No, ufdbguard is a fork of SquidGuard that can be used as a drop-in
> replacement which works better while you improve your config.
>
> You should work towards less complexity. Squid / squid.conf is where
> HTTP access control takes place. The helper is about re-writing the URL
> (only) - which is a complex and destructive process.

ufdbGuard is a simple tool that has the same syntax in its configuration file as squidGuard has.
It is far from complex, has a great Reference Manual, exmaple config file and a responsive support desk.
Amos, I have never seen you calling a URL writer being a complex and destructive process.  What do you mean?

URL rewriters have been used for decades for HTTP access control but you state "squid.conf is where HTTP access control takes place".
Are you saying that you want it is the _only_ place for HTTP access control?

Marcus