[squid-users] Long delays with TLS

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Sep 13 19:46:04 UTC 2018

On 09/13/2018 01:00 PM, James Moe wrote:
> Hello,
>   squid 4.0.23
>   linux 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64
>
>   We have been seeing frequent, but not consistent, delays when proxying
> TLS requests while browsing. By disabling the proxy, those delays
> stopped occurring.

FYI: Your Squid is not configured to treat TLS specially. In that
configuration, your Squid does not know anything about TLS -- TLS
traffic is just opaque bytes to your Squid, hidden inside HTTP CONNECT
tunnels.

>   I can see no obvious hint in either the access or cache logs.

>   Where should I look to find what is causing the delay?

I would start by upgrading to the latest Squid v4 and then check for DNS
delays. DNS is used by both regular HTTP traffic and CONNECT tunnels
(carrying TLS bytes) so it may not fit your problem description
perfectly, but DNS delays are easier to check for than other suspects.
You can log DNS-related response times (%dt) and/or capture DNS traffic
to and from your Squid.

HTH,

Alex.