[squid-users] Squid Cache Server

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Sep 11 08:54:05 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 11 September 2018 at 10:43:13, Mujtaba Hassan Madani wrote:

> Hi Squid team,
>
>     I just want to no if squid can cache software for example windows
> update, Java,....etc.

Squid doesn't care what a file is for - whether it's "software", web pages,
images, music, video...

Squid will try to cache anything which gets requested through it, no matter
what it is.

Whether or not any given thing *can* be cached is far more up to the content
provider to decide - there are various HTTP headers they can use to say "don't
cache this" or similar, and some things which you can download have different
URLs at different times, and Squid can't tell that they are actually the same
thing.

So, yes, Squid _can_ cache "software".  But just as with any other type of
content, the provider may tell Squid that is isn't allowed to.

Regards,

Antony.

--
What makes you think I know what I'm talking about?
I just have more O'Reilly books than most people.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.