[squid-users] Could compile squid with --enable-storeio

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Sep 7 17:08:35 UTC 2018

On 8/09/18 4:13 AM, Sekar Duraisamy wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I could see the below message on cache.log even after removed
> cache_dir  from squid.conf
>
> "2018/09/07 02:48:35| Set Current Directory to
> /opt/squid/squid3527/var/cache/squid"
>
> Is this normal or I need to do anything else when i restart the squid?

That "cache" in that path is OS terminology from the FHS standard
(<http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARCACHEAPPLICATIONCACHEDATA>).
Not a Squid cache.

The "/var/cache/squid/" part as a whole is the FHS directory assigned to
Squid for storing anything that it needs to persist between executions
and across system reboot. That is all.
 One of those persistent things does happen to be cache_dir (*if* you
configure any), but other things also are needed to persist and may be
placed there.

For example; that message above is the Squid process CWD being set as
the location where Squid will drop core dumps *if* the OS lets cores be
created.

You can move it elsewhere with the coredump_dir directive in squid.conf,
but be aware that other locations may not be cleaned up automatically by
your package installation software if/when your Squid installation is
uninstalled, upgraded, etc.