[squid-users] Could compile squid with --enable-storeio

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Sep 7 13:10:44 UTC 2018

On 8/09/18 12:36 AM, Sekar Duraisamy wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am trying to compile squid with --enable-storeio=null but it is giving error.
>
> "configure: IO Modules built:  AIO Blocking DiskDaemon DiskThreads IpcIo Mmapped
> configure: error: null not found in ./src/fs"

Indeed. "null" is not a way to do I/O.

>From the Squid-3.1 release notes:
"
cache_dir

 Default changed to 256MB in-memory cache. see cache_mem and
maximum_object_size_in_memory for size parameters.

 'null' storage type dropped. In-memory cache is always present. Remove
all cache_dir options to prevent on-disk caching.
"

> squid Version : squid-3.5.20 and squid-3.5.27
>
> Basically I am trying to disable cache on squid completely with  below
>
> cache_dir null /tmp
>
> So please help me on this to move forward.

Remove that cache_dir line from your config.

NP: The above config has never had any effect on other types of caching.
So "disable cache on squid completely" is not what you have been doing.

To completely disable caching of HTTP objects you need:
  cache_mem 0
  cache deny all

and since Squid-3.1 *no* cache_dir lines.