[squid-users] Hyper-threading, SSD vs HDD, CentOS vs Ubuntu Server and best performer Squid version

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Oct 29 13:20:42 UTC 2018

On 28.10.18 17:13, manuelfgarcia wrote:
>only the physical cores are useful, hyper-threaded "cores" can actually be
>worse.

HT can add about 10-15% of CPU time when doing CPU inteensive tasks.
squid usually contains no CPU intensive tasks.

>Considering the statement that "hyper-threaded "cores" can actually be
>worse.", what is supposed to handle faster and concurrent connections on
>reverse proxy mode?:
>- Intel Xeon X3430 (2.40GHz, 2,80 GHz turbo, 4 physical cores, 4 threads)
>vs.
>- Intel Xeon E3-1230-V6 3.40GHz (3.50 GHz, 3.90 GHz, 4 physical cores, 8
>threads)

I would count both of them as 4-CPU machines, e.g. would not configure more
than four (apparently only three) workers for squid.

Luckily kernels seem to understand hyperthreading CPUs and don't use HT
unless needed, so the work will be spread over 4 cores in such case.
WinError #99999: Out of error messages.