[squid-users] Redirect certain sites to different gateway

Donald Muller donmuller22 at outlook.com
Mon Oct 22 19:52:27 UTC 2018

Noted!

> > from my PC I received a “This site can’t be
> > reached” error. I’m assuming that the bank site won’t allow connections
> > from a VPN server.
> >

> Assuming leads to problems and "solutions" that don't work. Test your
> assumption
>  - check your proxy cache.log for messages about traffic to that website
>  - check your access.log for response status on traffic to that website
>  - setup a test machine that makes requests via different gateways and
> see what happens differently at the TCP (and if relevant TLS) layers.

If I do not use the VPN as the default gateway I can reach the site with no issues. Once I enable the VPN to be the default gateway the site stops working.

> > Not sure if it is doable but is it possible via squid to redirect a
> > request to a different gateway based on the URL (www.mybank.com
> > <http://www.mybank.com>)? If possible how to accomplish this?
> >

> What you are calling "redirect" is not possible for Squid to do itself.
> The OS routing system is responsible for selecting which routing gateway
> traffic goes through.

Setting up a static route is probably the preferred method but was hoping to be able to do it via a URL instead of figuring out all the IP addresses the site uses. I will attempt the static route method.