[squid-users] FD 222 flags=1: read/write failure: (110) Connection timed out

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Oct 20 04:22:51 UTC 2018

On 20/10/18 12:26 AM, Jonh Smith wrote:
> ey Folks,
>

> Sorry for bad sentence, my English isn't good when i expected.
>
> I have a litle problem with two user with Outlook (using MAC).
> Precisly, they using the latest version of Outlook, latest iOS and surfing
> in the internet with squid proxy it's not a problem, everything works fine
> exepct desynchronization every 30 minutes with their clien outlook.
>
> I have a message d'error in /var/log/squid/cache.log
> local=XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXX remote=XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXXX FD 222 flags=1: read/write
> failure: (110) Connection timed out

This has nothing to do with authentication.

The TCP stack, NAT system, or some other software on one of the machines
between the local XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXX and remote XX.XX.XX.XX:XXXXX has
timed out its records about that TCP connection and closed it.

Not using a connection for 30min sounds like a long timeout. Normal TCP
timeouts are 5min. Each active TCP connection is using up many network
resources just by staying open so letting them stay around for long
periods is a bad idea.