[squid-users] Unable to open youtube.com

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Oct 17 03:48:13 UTC 2018

On 17/10/18 6:22 AM, Bruno de Paula Larini wrote:

> Em 16/10/2018 02:46, Timur Lagutenko escreveu:
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> recently I've updated my freebsd gateway.
>> from 11.1 to 11.2.
>> also I've updated squid form 3.5 to 4.1
>> i have no transparency, no ssl-bump/splice etc..
>> simple installation.
>> browser is configured to use proxy.
>> squid configuration is default.

Then Squid interactino wit this traffic is a simple test of whether the
client IP address is within your LAN and then blindly shovel the HTTPS
traffic through.

Problems are limited to routing, MTU/MSS misconfiguration somewhere
(network VPM tunnel?), and problems with the endpoints TLS negotiation
(browser or upstream server).

>> everything works fine except youtube.com <http://youtube.com/>
>> Browser freezes on "trying to set secure connection", and after gives
>> time-out error.
>> i've also tied to downgrade squid back to 3,5
>> no success.

That downgrade not resolving the issue indicates that it is not Squid
related.

As Bruno suggested, probably a change to the routing or firewall systems
that traffic is going through that appeared with the OS version bump. It
is pretty rare to see on small bumps, but can happen.