[squid-users] negotiate_kerberos_auth: ERROR

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Oct 1 21:08:47 UTC 2018

On 2/10/18 8:12 AM, neok wrote:
> Thank you for the answer Amos!
> I will see the possibility of updating the version.
> I also have to evaluate the possibility that this error is due to some of my
> users using mail services on their smartphones and are authenticated against
> my AD Servers .
> I'm not sure if it can be or not... I have to analyze it.

That is highly unlikely.

It may be the reason NTLM credentials are being sent, but will not
itself cause the "*" behaviour.

That "*" is coming directly from the negotiate_wrapper helper and how it
is configured. Problems are known to occur with the wrapper helper when
the sub-helper is misconfigured, or when usernames contain whitespace
the old squid-2 helper protocol cannot cope with that. The former
usually results in these weird "*", and the latter shows up as truncated
usernames in your access.log.