[squid-users] office365 - brand new endpoint management question!!

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Nov 30 10:23:14 UTC 2018

On 30/11/18 6:46 am, Jennifer Canterbury wrote:
> Did anyone see the changes to office365 IP and URLs management effective
> as of 11/27/18?  Microsoft appears to be be going to 3 different CDN
> networks (Akamai, MarkMonitor, and ExactTarget) for office365 connectivity.
>
> I have a few questions:
> 1)  How many users do you think a single virtual squid server could
> handle?

Somewhere between 0 and infinity.

We do not measure HTTP agents in terms of "users" because one single
user can flood a network, or many tens of thousands per second be
handled easily. It depends entirely on what type of message any given
user is sending at any particular moment.

So HTTP is measured best in request-per-second (RPS). For most HTTP/1.1
traffic Squid can handle around 10-20K requests per second before
performance tuning needs to happen, after tuning twice that.

> 2)  How many "acl bypass_parent" URLs can my cache squid proxy server
> handle before browsing starts to slow?

What is being done with these URLs? Simply having them configured does
not affect browsing. Testing the same few values repeatedly likewise is
not noticable for the better ACL types.

Using something like a regex ACL or testing random URLs from the set
without any pattern to tune for all result in quite low numbers before
traffic slows.