[squid-users] Ipv6 error

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Nov 7 22:57:56 UTC 2018

On 11/7/18 1:54 PM, Schroeffu wrote:
> I have had today experienced today exactly the same issue with Squid 4.4 for
> this URL: https://bugs.squid-cache.org/index.cgi

> Error Message from Squid:
>
> /The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
> https://bugs.squid-cache.org/*
> Connection to 2001:4801:7827:102:ad34:6f78:b6dc:fbed failed.
> The system returned: (101) Network is unreachable/
>
> It is not only IPv6 related issue. It happens to me when denying any request
> via proxy without authentification like this:
>
> acl Authenticated_Users proxy_auth REQUIRED
> http_access deny !Authenticated_Users all

For most modern Squids, this http_access policy is, IMO, incorrect
because it blocks internally-generated requests, such as requests for
missing intermediate certificates. Please adjust your configuration to
allow those requests (if you want them to be allowed).

[rant]It could be argued that Squid should automatically allow
internally-generated requests, but I do not think that would be a good
approach, despite the inconveniences/problems caused by the current
"apply standard http_access rules" approach.[/rant]

N.B. There is no need to say "all" after another ACL in a rule. It is
like adding "and true" to some boolean statement -- it adds no value and
creates noise/overheads.

> You will see in the access log Squid is trying to hit
> http://cert.int-x3.letsencrypt.org/ directly with 407 (not authenticated), i
> am so confused, why is it doing that and why is it not authenticating?

I suspect Squid is requesting a missing intermediate certificate for
some letsencrypt-issued origin certificate. This is "normal" -- some
https sites do not send all of the intermediate x509 certificates, and
modern Squids request them automatically instead of failing certificate
validation.

Squid does not "trying to hit letsencrypt.org with 407". HTTP 407 is a
response status code, not a part of the request. That error response is
probably generated by Squid (not letsencrypt.org); its existence and its
status code are determined/caused by your own http_access settings -- it
is your Squid that is denying the internal request, not letsencrypt.org.

HTH,

Alex.