[squid-users] Parent proxy with digest authentication

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Nov 2 16:37:49 UTC 2018

On 3/11/18 5:02 AM, ofoerster wrote:
> Hello Community,
>
> We would like to place a proxy in front of our corporate proxy.
> Unfortunately, the parent proxy is a digest authentication and this can
> not be defined in the configuration of "cache peer". Also, the login
> with username and password works only for basic authentication. Is there
> a solution to save and forward the digest authentication?

You can try the cache_peer option login=PASSTHRU for the config of new
proxy. It should work, but has not exactly had wide usage so there may
still be bugs not found.

Also your new frontend cannot do any authentication with the client when
using that option for auth types more complex than Basic or Bearer. The
credentials have to be transparently passed between the parent proxy and
the end-client to avoid confusing either of them about the auth state.