[squid-users] NetfilterInterception: NF > getsockopt(SO_ORIGINAL_DST) errors

kAja Ziegler ziegleka at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:30:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:24 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>
wrote:

> On 22/05/18 22:06, kAja Ziegler wrote:
> > This is strange because I don't use any NAT iptables/netfilter rules on
> > this server:
> >
> > [root at ...]# iptables -n -L -v -t nat
> > Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 26964 packets, 1870K bytes)
> >  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> > destination
> >
> > Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 11013 packets, 817K bytes)
> >  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> > destination
> >
> > Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 11015 packets, 817K bytes)
> >  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> > destination-
>
> That lack of NAT rules would be why Squid cannot find any entries for
> the traffic in the kernels NAT state table.
>

> > Only one weird thing I found in my Squid configuration - I had defined
> > only one http_port (http_port 3128 intercept) and this port was used to
> > access proxy via explicit definitions in systems or applications -
> > without any REDIRECT or marking in iptables/netfilter rules
>
> There is the problem. That "intercept" mode/flag means NAT intercepted
> traffic is the only type you are going to receive there.
>
> Explicit / forward proxy is the "normal" traffic case for proxies. A
> port to receive that traffic is configured without any special mode
> flag. Just:
>   http_port 3128
>

> Amos

Hi Amos,

It's silly that I did not notice these errors earlier. I found them in the
log just recently.

Communication via proxy in this configuration (with http_port 3128
intercept) has worked well for years.

I've removed the intercept from the configuration, so I'll see.

Thank you and with best regqards
--
Karel Ziegler