[squid-users] Cert download from AIA information succeeds yet Squid reports ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY

Ahmad, Sarfaraz Sarfaraz.Ahmad at deshaw.com
Tue May 22 04:59:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have setup Squid as a SSL MITM proxy.
I am also using the cert download feature with these configurations in my squid.conf

acl cert_fetch transaction_initiator certificate-fetching
http_access allow cert_fetch

Websites where certificates just share AIA information using CA-issuer method, those work just fine.

But try this one, https://community.verizonwireless.com/welcome (this gets bumped in my setup)
Here the AIA information Is provided using both OCSP/CAissuer methods.
>From Squid's access logs, I can tell that the certificate gets downloaded.

1526964147.929    160 - TCP_MISS/200 1868 GET http://cacert.omniroot.com/vpssg142.crt - HIER_DIRECT/64.18.25.46 application/x-x509-ca-cert

But squid still reports:

(71) Protocol error (TLS code: X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY)
SSL Certficate error: certificate issuer (CA) not known: /C=NL/L=Amsterdam/O=Verizon Enterprise Solutions/OU=Cybertrust/CN=Verizon Public SureServer CA G14-SHA2

That is the only intermediate certificate needed in the chain.  Here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=community.verizonwireless.com&latest

When I download the intermediate certificate locally and try connecting to the remote server using openssl -Cafile option, Openssl reports OK (0).

openssl s_client -connect 204.93.84.201:443 -showcerts -CAfile vpssg142.crt -servername community.verizon.com
>>     Verify return code: 0 (ok)

Regards,
Sarfaraz