[squid-users] Auth bearer support for forward proxy

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat May 19 21:04:22 UTC 2018

On 18/05/18 04:32, Panagiotis Bariamis wrote:
> Hello ,
> Only thing I have found concerning the subject is this 4 years old thread :
>
>>From: Amos Jeffries
>>Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 14:46:09 +1200
>
>>I have implemented Bearer authentication support in Squid and have found
>>a noticible lack of support in clients for the 407 status Proxy-Auth*
>>headers, even where Bearer support is advertized and working via 401
>>status WWW-Auth*.
>
>>Can any of the client implementers (Browsers in particular) please point
>>out if they do support Bearer login to a proxy and what restrictions
>>they have on it actually working?
>>
>>Amos Jeffries
>>The Squid Software Foundation
>
> Does  anyone know if browsers have implemented since then support for
> bearer authentication for Proxy-Auth ?

AFAIK the situation has not changed. Except that there are now several
CDN providers using Bearer authentication in reverse-proxies.

I have been keeping the auth-bearer branch up to date with Squid-5. So
if you wish to try it out it should work okay (and safely). You will
need to provide your own authentication helper to interface with
whatever OAuth systems you use.