[squid-users] Access Proxy By Url

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat May 19 20:57:06 UTC 2018

On 19/05/18 05:23, albydarned wrote:
> I have a squid proxy set up, and I can get it to work by adding the settings
> in my browser. I have also set up HTTP basic auth.
>
> Is it possible to hit the mydomain.com:3128 in a browser address bar and
> pass a url as a parameter with the basic auth? When I do this I just get
> this screen.
>
> Currently i'm just going to mydomain.com:3128/https://google.com

Don't do that.

There are hacks to make it look like it is "working" which you may find
mentioned. But those will break the authentication - the browser MUST
know that it is talking to a proxy to send the correct proxy-auth
credentials.

Proxy credentials are explicitly separate from web-server credentials so
that you (and your users) do not end up sharing your proxy login with
any remote web servers and your website credentials with the proxy.

Configuring the browser is required/mandatory to perform authentication
to the proxy. There are several auto-configuration methods that work
well if manually entering the proxy details is too onerous:
  <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers>