[squid-users] Collecting squid logs to DB

Alex K rightkicktech at gmail.com
Sat May 12 22:55:47 UTC 2018

+++ Including list +++

Hi Eliezer,

I have used the following lines to instruct squid to log at mariadb:

logfile_daemon /usr/lib/squid/log_db_daemon
access_log daemon:/127.0.0.1/squid_log/access_log/squid/squid squid

Through testing it seems that sometimes squid is not logging anything. I
don't know why. After a restart it seems to unblock and write to DB.
The access_log table is currently InnoDB and I am wondering if MyISAM will
behave better.

I would prefer if I could have real time access log. My scenario is that
when a user disconnects from squid, an aggregated report of the sites that
the user browsed will be available under some web portal where the user has
access. Usually there will be up to 20 users connected concurrently so I
have to check if this approach is scalable. If this approach is not stable
then I might go with log parsing (perhaps logstash or some custom parser)
which will parse and generate an aggregated report once per hour or day.

Is there a way I format the log and pipe to DB only some interesting fields
in order to lessen the stress to DB?