[squid-users] large rock store and shared large objects

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri May 4 12:39:46 UTC 2018

On 04/05/18 22:50, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 04/05/18 22:22, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> According to rock store documentation[1], the
>>> "
>>> Objects larger than 32,000 bytes cannot be cached when cache_dirs are
>>> shared
>>> among workers.
>>> "
>>>
>>> does this still apply with large rock store[2]?
>>>
>>> [1] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore
>>> [2] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/LargeRockStore
>
> On 04.05.18 22:29, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> "Definitions
>>
>>    Small: fits in one db slot (in Small Rock, the slot size is the same
>> as max-size and all cached entries are small).
>>    Large: not small.
>>    Huge: gigabytes in size.
>> "
>>
>> Not being smaller than a 32KB 'slot' is the definition of "large".
>
> Thank you, but how does it answer my question?
>
> does that mean that LargeRockStore allows to split and store objects larger
> than slot size, but sharing them between workers is a different story?

If you configure the slot size over 32KB (actually a small bit less)
then SMP workers cannot share them. Original rock store defaulted to a
slot size that would work, but you can make them larger if wanted (at
cost of SMP support).

"large rock store" is an extension to rock store which allows objects to
be split over many slots. So you don't have to increase the slot size
above that 32KB limit.