[squid-users] Question about shutdown_lifetime behavior.

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed May 2 21:22:40 UTC 2018

On 05/02/2018 03:07 PM, Cody Herzog wrote:

> So, here is my shutdown sequence:
>
> 1.) Modify config file to prevent new client connections and 'reconfigure'.
> 2.) Poll active requests until there are no connections to critical services.
> 3.) Issue the shutdown command with a small value for shutdown_lifetime.
>
> Does that sounds reasonable?

It sounds like a reasonable (and clever!) workaround to me.

Ideally, a single "squid -k shutdown" should result in everything you
need done by Squid automatically, with a new ACL-driven directive to
identify "connections to critical services".

Please keep in mind that Squid reconfiguration is still a disruptive
action (unfortunately). If it does not usually affect your critical
services, great, but I am fairly sure it is possible to come up with
specific cases where reconfiguration kills in-progress transactions.