[squid-users] Question about shutdown_lifetime behavior.

Cody Herzog CHerzog at IntouchHealth.com
Tue May 1 06:04:50 UTC 2018

Hello.

I have a question about shutdown_lifetime:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/shutdown_lifetime/

Does Squid always wait the full amount of time before shutting down, even after all active connections have closed?

Based on my testing, it seems like it does.

However, I found some documentation which indicates that Squid should close as soon as all active connections have closed:

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/squid-the-definitive/0596001622/re91.html

"Squid finally exits when all client connections have been closed or when this timeout occurs."

Is that the expected behavior, or will Squid always stay open for the full timeout, as I'm observing in my testing?

I searched the FAQ and the Internet at large, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm running Squid 3.5.27 on Ubuntu 16.04.

If Squid does not have an internal mechanism to complete the shutdown when all active connections have closed, then I may have to create my own based on polling with 'netstat'.

Thanks.