[squid-users] How to configure a "proxy home" page ?

Sticher, Jascha jascha.sticher at tds.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 26 07:47:01 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I know this is quite off-topic, but I wanted to clarify a bit.

SSH and TLS both provide the same thing, namely a tunnel between a client and a server. While both use asymmetric crypto for authentication and symmetric crypto for data transfer and therefore the same algorithms (that's why openssh requires openssl/gnutls - as crypto library), they are independent protocols. SSH uses its own key format, which does not know such a thing as a CA – each server generates its own server key pair (or at least it should).[1,2]

As to SSH-MiTM, this is indeed possible, in two cases:
a) The server key is unknown to the client and not verified correctly (by the user!). Then a fake server can decrypt SSH and intercept everything.
b) The client validates server certificates incorrectly or is told ignore changes in the server key (eg. “-o StrictHostKeyChecking=no” with openssh)

There are some SSH-MITM solutions available on the internet.[3]

To conclude, if crypto is involved _every_ part of the conversation needs to do it _right_. Including the user.

Kind regards,

Jascha

[1] https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/1599/what-is-the-difference-between-ssl-vs-ssh-which-is-more-secure
[2] https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Ed25519 - hetzner shipped the same elliptic-curve host key on each host for a time