[squid-users] Understanding Fallback Authentication

Thomas.Elsaesser at hzd.hessen.de Thomas.Elsaesser at hzd.hessen.de
Thu Mar 1 08:42:38 UTC 2018

Dear all,

i have running squid Version 3.5.27 on SLES12SP3

I have configure kerberos, ntlm and basic auth with ldap

All authentification individually run fine. Only kerberos auth run fine, only ntlm run fin etc.

I enable all 3 authentications, example:

auth_param negotiate program /usr/local/squid/libexec/negotiate_kerberos_auth ...
auth_param ntlm program /usr/local/samba/bin/ntlm_auth ...
auth_param basic program /usr/local/squid/libexec/basic_ldap_auth ...

In which case switch from kerberos to ntlm??

Example : if i destroy kerberos keytab file for squid, i see an error in cache.log. but not ntlm auth working. How can i configure squid,  if kerb auth give an error, switch to ntlm? If i disable kerb lines in squid.conf and restart squid, ntlm works fine.

Thanks
Regards
Thomas