[squid-users] Speed ​​limit from file size

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Jun 25 16:35:38 UTC 2018

On 06/24/2018 11:32 AM, Michael Pro wrote:
> In store_id_program, I use the third-party utility "curl -sI
> http://url.to/real.file.zip"
> to define Content-Length and return to squid using the "note" mechanism
> in the desired ACL for response_delay_pool_access.

> Could not you do this with the help of squid itself?

I see two ways to interpret your question:

A) Is it possible for my curl probing requests to go through Squid?

Sure, curl supports HTTP and HTTPS proxies. Just add ACLs that would
detect and treat your curl requests specially (e.g., avoid sending them
back to the store_id_program and do not cache their responses).

B) Is it possible for Squid itself to initiate probing requests?

Yes, it is possible to modify Squid to send probing requests that would
determine the expected response content length. Probing requests are
costly (you double network traffic in many cases and block the user
while the probe runs). Probes are also difficult to implement correctly
(see Amos response for some of the complications).

If you want to implement probing in Squid, and want your changes to be
officially accepted, then please discuss your design (on squid-dev)
before implementing anything -- many designs are likely to be rejected
for the reasons mentioned above.

HTH,

Alex.