[squid-users] Squid test-suite / benchmarks

Coenraad Loubser coenraad at wish.org.za
Thu Jun 7 18:25:55 UTC 2018

My first port of call would be apachebench with and without your proxies. A
web search for "squid apachebench" might yield some leads to people who
have done this. (I'm sure apachebench is well tested.)

Eg. the third hit on Google:
https://2bits.com/articles/using-apachebench-benchmarking-logged-users-automated-approach.html

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 7:20 PM, Alex Rousskov <
rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:

> On 06/07/2018 04:17 AM, Stoica Bogdan Alexandru wrote:
>
> > We’re a small research team interested in benchmarking Squid for a
> > research project.
>
> > Ideally, we would like to have good code coverage while doing so.
>
> > Are there any good benchmarks used for such purpose?
>
> Performance benchmarks usually focus on things other than code coverage.
> It is very difficult to write a quality benchmark for a proxy, even
> without code coverage as a goal!
>
> One the other hand, a decent proxy benchmark has enough knobs to tickle
> most "interesting" code paths in Squid (or any other proxy). Web
> Polygraph[1] (mentioned on this thread earlier) is a good example -- you
> can trigger cache revalidation, simulate heavy tailed hit distributions
> that stress disk caching, exercise the code that handles aborted
> transactions, persistent connection races, etc., etc.
>

> > Or, even better, is
> > there a more comprehensive test suite apart from the one Squid comes
> with?
>
> Squid does not come with a comprehensive test suite (yet) and the tests
> distributed with Squid are not performance tests (a.k.a. "benchmarks").
> If you are looking for functionality rather than performance testing,
> then there is Co-Advisor[2]. Squid is tested with Co-Advisor, but those
> tests have not been automated (yet).
>
>   [1] http://www.web-polygraph.org/
>   [2] http://coad.measurement-factory.com/
>

> HTH,
>
> Alex.
> P.S. Disclaimer: The company I work for is responsible for both of the
> test tools mentioned above.

Coenraad Loubser

Wireless Internet Services & Hardware (Pty) Ltd.
210 Long Street, Cape Town, 8001, ZA

Office: +27 21 481 1824
Skype: Coenraad_Loubser
Email: coenraad at wish.org.za
Cell: +27 73 772 1223

-- Spending Money is like watering a plant.