[squid-users] AMI 1+2 RPM packages ready!

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Jun 6 07:28:47 UTC 2018

OK so I took some time to understand and hack amazon linux 1 and. based on
the docker container I created a kvm guest VM build node.

I could have used the docker container but I like a static VM much more.

The result packages are at:

http://ngtech.co.il/repo/amzn/

which have packages for both amzn 1 and 2 and for both 3.5.27 and 4.0.24.

While working on the VM and the SPEC files I noticed that there was a typo
in all of my older versions until today.

For some reason despite to the typo Squid was built and ran fine in
production for a long time.

I was unsure if to patch 3.5.27 with the latest 2018.03 patch. but since I
worked on the different SPEC files I assume that in the next couple weeks I
will release 3.5.27+patches.

.If there will be another release as 3.5.28 I will not create a specially
patched RPM release.

The AMI RPM build sources(else then the SRPMS at the repo) are at:

http://gogs.ngtech.co.il/NgTech-LTD/squid-amzn2-squid35-rpms

http://gogs.ngtech.co.il/NgTech-LTD/squid-amzn2-squid4-rpms

http://gogs.ngtech.co.il/NgTech-LTD/squid-amzn1-squid4-rpms

And the amzn1 3.5.27 has SRPM:

http://ngtech.co.il/repo/amzn/1/SRPMS/squid-3.5.27-2.amzn1.src.rpm

Which should be enough for any AWS developer that works with AMI 1 or 2.

The AMI amzn1 qcow2 image is available at:

http://ngtech.co.il/static/amzn/amzn1-rc1.qcow2

just add "faster." To the domain and it should push the packets faster.

AMI machines are based on a combination of stability and cutting edge so
amzn1 is pretty solid.

However amzn2 offers systemd which I recommend to plan to use if you don't
already.

I also noticed that there are couple tiny things which blocks amzn2 LTS
moving from the RC state of it but compared to Ubuntu I think it get's more
development and upgrades.

It's probably because globally there is more money opportunity in it..

OK this is it for today.

Eliezer

----

Eliezer Croitoru <http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/>