[squid-users] squid as wpad server?

L A Walsh squid-user at tlinx.org
Tue Jul 31 08:00:41 UTC 2018

L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Read :
> https://findproxyforurl.com/official-toolset/
> That one helped me a lot, all you want to know is there imo.
----
	Seems like that is mostly about setting one up.

	I already have a working one, but in reading docs on the squid wiki
it was suggested that having your proxy being able to 'double' as
your web-proxy was one way to reduce some complexity -- so I wasn't
trying to set one up -- already did that with a smallish webserver that
serves up my wpad.dat file, with dns and dhcp records both pointing at
that resource -- seems to work find for all tested browsers.

	It's the merge thingy that likely wouldn't be in a standard toolset
that does something like what Jeffery maybe had done that might suffice.

I'll have to try that to give it a spin.

To someone else's setup question, I threw my current dns-like settings at them
and mentioned how   wpad needs to be contacted before the proxy as wpad is
supposed to tell a browser where the proxy is or which proxy to use.

Thanks for the pointers though!