[squid-users] squid as wpad server?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jul 31 06:44:57 UTC 2018

On 31/07/18 18:01, L A Walsh wrote:
> I seem to remember reading that one way to improve reliability is to have
> your proxy software be able to double as a web-server for WPAD.dat.
>
> Is there a published means for doing this w/squid or would something need
> to be cobbled together?

The work I was doing on Squid having an internal web server got mired in
the QA feature creep and abandoned.

Currently I use this config:

 acl WPAD urlpath_regex ^/wpad.dat$
 deny_info 200:wpad.dat WPAD
 http_access deny WPAD
 reply_header_access Content-Type deny WPAD
 reply_header_replace Content-Type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig

With a symlink from /usr/share/squid/errors/templates/wpad.dat pointing
to my /etc/squid/wpad.dat file.

This has the added benefit that the wpad.dat can use Squid custom error
page %h macro to insert the proxy hostname dynamically without needing a
different wpad.dat for each POP.

I do have to take care that the templates package being upgraded does
not erase the symlink though.