[squid-users] Wpad problem (DNS)

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jul 27 02:26:51 UTC 2018

On 27/07/18 03:06, erdosain9 wrote:
> Hi to all.
> Im trying to put proxy trough DNS. Im working on a Windows Server 2012 r2.
> I follow a lot of tutorial... and cant do it.
> The best i have is this (and is strange).
> When the pc start i see in log of squid the ip of that pc.
>
>  tail -f /var/log/squid/access.log | grep 192.168.6.22
> 1532616150.629     77 192.168.6.22 TCP_REFRESH_UNMODIFIED/200 316 GET
> http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt - HIER_DIRECT/200.81.17.41 text/plain
>
> but, if i go throug a web browser, nothing appears in access.log... is like
> the things that the system search (is a windows 7) goes trough proxy, but
> not the thing that i search in the web browser (it's configured to "detect
> automatic").
>
> I do this in windows server.
> Create a web with IIS, and put wpad.dat file. (create the mime)
> In the DNS, create a new zone wpad, and put a new record txt with this
> "service: wpad:!http://wpad.xxxx.xxx:80/wpad.dat"
> and a CNAME in my domain with a A record name wpad, and fqdn: the hostname
> of the server.

Okay, the TXT record is not one I've encountered before but the CNAME/A
records match what I know IE8 supported.

Does the wpad.xxxx.xxx:80 server provide the wpad.dat file with the
correct mime type "application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig" in HTTP response
message?

Does the wpad.dat file contain valid PAC syntax pointing receivers to
use the proxy?
 <http://findproxyforurl.com/> has more info on what the PAC file needs
to contain.

What OS is the client machine using?
 Presence of IE 8 hints that it is an older one (XP?) where there may be
ipconfig related tricks needed.

If you have not already done so that site also has troubleshooting tools
and how-to at <http://findproxyforurl.com/troubleshooting-pac-wpad/>.