[squid-users] A logging only ACL?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Jul 26 13:29:51 UTC 2018

On 26.07.18 15:15, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>Before destroying our Squid proxy with an ACL, I'd like to LOG ACL hits
>instead of using "http_access deny" straight away:
>
>--- nsip ---
>acl markURLhaus annotate_transaction accessRule=URLhaus
>acl URLhaus url_regex "/etc/squid5/generated-urlhaus.acl"
>http_access deny URLhaus markURLhaus
>--- nsip ---
>
>How?

you can configure an ACL and only define it in access_log directive.
separate log file would be preferred for this.

there's also "note" directive that allows you log notes for requests
matching ACL. http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/note/

>Underlying problem: https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/ is offering
>a plain-text URL list here https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/downloads/text/
>
>But in squid I must used "url_regex" - meaning I'll have to escape the
>likes of .^$*+?()[{\|

the main problem is that HTTPS URL is only known when you do SSL
deciphering, which may happen:
- in reverse proxy scenario (using squid for ssl offloading)
- when you use SSL bumping (which is quote complicated to implement).

also note that url_regex ACLs are quite CPU hungry.

One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them