[squid-users] Delay pools in squid4 not working with https

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jul 10 21:34:43 UTC 2018

On 11/07/18 07:50, Paolo Marzari wrote:
> My home server just updated from 3.5.27, everything is working fine, but
> delay pools seems broken to me.
> I capped some devices to 240kb/s and tried to download a debian ISO with
> one of them...all good, 240kb/s.
> Then I tried a speed test, results = 2.2mb/s, that's the whole ADSL speed.
>
> So I tried youtube videos, no cap at all, same problem with facebook.
> Revert to 3.5.27 and delays works again with every type of traffic.
>
> I think there's something wrong with https traffic.

a) is it actually HTTPS traffic?

b) are the bytes going through the proxy 2.2Mbps or 240kbps ?

I ask because Google/YouTube and Facebook are services using HTTP/2 with
high compression features as much as possible. So while the proxy is set
to transfer X bytes per second, when hidden inside "HTTPS" those X bytes
may show up as 90*X bytes of traffic when decompressed by a Browser.

Or the transfer may be QUIC protocol, completely bypassing the HTTP the
proxy is counting.