[squid-users] squid 4.1 default queue-size should consider concurrency

Amish anon.amish at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 13:57:48 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 03 July 2018 01:46 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 03/07/18 20:00, Amish wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In squid 4.1 new option "queue-size" was introduced.
>>
>> In most (or all) cases default "queue-size" is set to children-max*2.
>>
>> But I believe it should be higher of (children-max*2) OR (concurrency*2)
>>
>> Or it can be some better formula but the point I am trying to make is
>> that, "concurrency" should be taken in to account for calculating
>> default value of "queue-size".
>>
>> Please consider.
> FYI; When we add a directive or option to control some behaviour that
> already happens the default is usually set to the value all existing
> Squid are using so nobody gets an unexpected surprise with upgrade.
>
> That can change later once more people have experimented to find what a
> better value actually is.
>
> Cheers
> Amos

Oh ok. I thought "queue-size" was completely new thing and didnt even
exist implicitly in earlier version.

In my case helper has only 1 process but 10 concurrency. So 2 was
obviously not a right default value for my case. Hence my post.

But I agree with your point about unexpected surprises.

Thanks and regards,

Amish.