[squid-users] rock storage and max-swap-rate

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jan 23 14:09:48 UTC 2018

On 22.01.18 17:47, reinerotto wrote:
>Default ext4 uses a "journal" of the modifications. Which adds I/O.
>Timestamps of filemods are other I/Os. I do not think, that these features
>are required for rock. Disabling journal completely will cause loss of data
>(cached) in case of disk failure, but this is a very rare event, and will be
>recovered over time by filling up cache again. So, in case rock is on its
>own private disk/partition, I feel very well to disable journal completely.

I believe that journal is only wirtten to, when you make change at
filesystem level, like creating or removing files.

Since rock storage is one file, journaling only affects it when you create,
enlarge or shrink it, not otherwise.

Thus, ext4 and journalling should not affect the speed of standad work over
rock store.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.