[squid-users] persistent connections not being utilized with Chrome

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Jan 13 03:23:28 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-01-13 at 13:15 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> What do you mean "not available for?

I mean, will not actually result in a persistent connection -- a socket
that is reused for multiple HTTP transactions.  I suppose for CONNECT
it would mean either multiple CONNECTs within a single socket or one
CONNECT with multiple "GET/POST" type transactions within it.

> CONNECT can be pipelined after other requests on a persistent
> connection. But since it is a tunnel nothing can be pipelined after
> it.

So, for the purposes of the WWW's current move towards all-https
websites, persistent connections (perhaps only with proxy servers?) are
becoming useless?

> CONNECT tunnels specifically end when the server sends FIN to Squid

So this seems to affirm my question above that in a world where all
websites are https, persistent connections are no more and we are back
to open-fetch-close for every single object on a webpage, yes?

The problem I am trying to solve here is that opening Chrome with, say,
a few hundred tabs open, seems to take about an hour for it to finally
fetch all of the pages while most sit spinning on "waiting for an
available socket" or "proxy tunnel", etc., for a long time, which is
probably due to Chrome's limit on the number of concurrent sockets it
will open to a single destination, including proxy servers.  I was
hoping persistent connections would reduce the socket setup/teardown
overhead of all of that.

Cheers,
b.